Monday, September 8, 2008

Introduction

2008, the year of change. It seems that politically we are at a crossroads, or maybe this is just more of the same. Still we need to be positive. Hope is not a method, yet it does give us energy to move forward in life with a more positive attitude. The past year has given me much to think about though. My son is in his first year of life, and I tend to think more on how to be constructive in his life so that he can eventually grow up to be a good man.  With this in mind I have to look at an important part of his life, which is also an important part of mine. He, like me, will grow up being bilingual and a part of two different cultures.

Hispanic, I tend to relate this word to its Latin roots in reference to all Spanish speaking people similarly to Francophone for French speakers or Anglophone for English Speakers.  According to the U.S. Census bureau in 2006 there were 44 million people of Hispanic origin in the United States. This means that there are more Spanish speakers in the United States than in many Latin American countries, it also means that there are more Spanish Speakers in the U.S. than in Spain. Still, given the recent political climate, a stigma has been placed on Hispanics given the polarizing issue of immigration. 

I believe the biggest mistake that non-Hispanics (and even some Hispanics) make is that they group all Hispanics into one large group. Even offensive to some people is that some people group all Hipanics as Mexicans. To be Mexican is to either possess the Mexican nationality or to be of Mexican heritage. This does not include people who come from the dozens of other Spanish speaking nations. Therefore Argentinians, Panamanians, Puerto Ricans, and Peruvian people should not be called Mexicans, because, well they are not from Mexico.

Although I was born in the United States, I lived for many years in Mexico. Through this experience I can tell you that to make blanket statements about Mexicans would grossly underestimate the many different ethnic and cultural groups found within Mexico. In Mexico I have met Asian, German, Scottish, and Black Mexicans. Also Mexicans like to associate themselves with regional groups taking pride in being called Regios, Jarochos, Chilangos, Tapatios, and Yucatecos.

My point is that to make generalized statements about all Hispanics is blatently erroneous. Recently some media outlets have made it a point to compare the rising Hispanic population to a sort of invasion. Some politicians have even gone so far as to say that Hispanics have no concept of what it means to have democratic values. Some seem to insinuate that to hold on to a language or a culture constitutes being un-American. I am currently and Active member of the U.S. military, and have served in 5 war campaigns. I have lost many good friends, but I will continue to serve and fight to defend this great nation. I have been a registered Republican since I first registered to vote. I hold strongly to my faith in God, and in humanity. Having said this, I am worried about an apparent intolerance to my heritage among many so-called "conservatives". 

I intend to look at current media reports from all points of view, and analyze them for certain inconsistencies. The media can have a polarizing effect on people, and it is vital that all points of view are heard objectively. In the end citizens that can learn to use the strengths found in all the people of their nation will eventually find themselves stronger as a whole. 

No comments: